Thursday, November 29, 2007

Dying for God and other uplifting developments

It's rare that I come across a story that stumps my strict libertarian moral code so successfully that I'm unable to take a position or, better yet, berate the antagonists mercilessly. But I was introduced to this disconcerting feeling once again today when I stumbled across this story, shortly after scanning what I affectionately call the "Spoiled Whores Wire" (otherwise known as the Features section of the AP feed, where I get my Paris Hilton fix):

At 14, Dennis Lindberg is old enough to know that refusing blood transfusions may amount to a "death sentence," but he has that right, a Skagit County judge ruled today.

A Jehovah's Witness from Mount Vernon, Lindberg has religious objections to receiving blood. Doctors say he needs transfusions to survive treatment for leukemia.

Doctors at Children's Hospital & Regional Medical Center in Seattle diagnosed him Nov. 6 and began giving him chemotherapy. Because such treatment destroys the body's ability to make red blood cells, transfusions are necessary, doctors said.

Lindberg's relatives disagree about whether the eighth-grader, who remains hospitalized, should be forced to get the transfusions. His aunt, who is his legal guardian and also a Jehovah's Witness, supports his decision to refuse. But his parents, who live in Idaho, disagree.

First, it should be said that this boy died in the hospital just hours after the judge issued his ruling, so out of respect for the dead I won't go into how stupid I think it is to base a life-altering medical decision on religion. Although that much is clear in my mind, the debate is less about the rationality of religion and more about freedom in this society. Surely in a free society, everybody should retain the basic right to decide the fate of their own lives, and making that decision based on a religion is certainly included in that freedom.

Then again, this is a 14-year-old kid we're talking about. Perhaps a kid who, arguably, couldn't quite grasp the implications of such a decision, and may I be so bold to say may not have been given the opportunity to question the soundness of his own beliefs. I'll put it another way: Maybe his fucking "legal guardian" was an insane religious zealot who convinced him he would burn in the eternal depths of hell fire (or whatever Jehovah's Witnesses believe) if he received a blood transfusion that would ultimately spare his life. If that's the case, then I would say: Congratulations, "guardian," you killed him. You fail.

Given my fanatical distrust of any authority figure telling me what I can and can't do in regard to my life, it's really hard for me to disagree with the judge's ruling. This kid may well have been old enough -- and of sound enough mind -- to make that kind of decision for himself. And I'm not about to suggest people be denied the right to use faith as a factor in such a decision. But it sounds fishy to me. It doesn't sit right. I find it hard to believe that a 14-year-old would take religion seriously enough to end his life over it without some kind of outside authoritative influence. And I'm a bit disgusted that a religion would preach such a belief in the first place. I can't imagine a God that wouldn't understand the basic human urge to survive, and the scientific breakthroughs that have allowed us as a race to extend our time on this world.

So I'm left at square one on this issue. If this kid truly and independently came to the conclusion that a blood transfusion would harm his soul, well I can't really argue with him, and I have to respect that he has the absolute right to believe it. But if he was influenced to deny the treatment even for an instant by some crackpot religious leader, I think somebody is guilty of negligent homicide.

On a side note, I find it interesting that when it comes to refusing medical care that will ultimately result in death, religious leaders insist on absolute immunity, but when it comes to the right to end your own life to stop the suffering of a catastrophic terminal illness, these same religious leaders cry foul. In terms of euthanasia, I really don't see the distinction between refusing life-saving care or pushing a button to pump yourself full of toxic chemicals.

Either way, it's a death sentence.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The following website summarizes over 315 U.S. court cases and lawsuits affecting children of Jehovah's Witness Parents, including 200+ cases where the JW Parents refused to consent to life-saving blood transfusions for their dying children:

DIVORCE, BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS, AND OTHER LEGAL ISSUES AFFECTING CHILDREN OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

http://jwdivorces.bravehost.com

tom sheepandgoats said...

Don't more youngsters die each year in high school sports than in refusing transfusions? Each year I read a few local examples of the former. I'm not sure I would know any of the latter were it not for news media relaying any such event around the globe. Do you think high school sports should be banned or it's coaches judged accessories to "negligent homicide?"

Look, don't misunderstand. Death of a young person is always tragic. But people put their lives on the line all the time, often for causes far more frivolous than religious conviction. Nor did anyone even imagine they could cure this child. The doctors gave him a 70% chance of surviving the next 5 years with a transfusion.

He was 14. In just 4 years he'd be eligible for the military. For every youngster who dies via refusing transfusion, there must be 10,000 who die as combatants. Jehovah's Witnesses don't go to war. So not only their 10,000 don't die, but there're another 10,000 of all faiths who don't die since there are no JW combatants to kill them. Do you think dying in one of the worlds never-ending skirmishes is more noble than dying in process of observing one's religious conscience?

It all has to be kept in perspective.

J said...

I have no doubt that more young people die performing a variety of activities, like driving a car or playing sports, than they do refusing blood transfusions.

But the distinction here is that while these activities might be dangerous, they don't guarantee death like refusing a life-prolonging blood transfusion. If a coach were to say, "hey kid, if you play football you will certainly die, but you should play anyway because that's what God would want," then yes, I think he shares some blame in that death.

And yes, if high school sports were a one-way ticket to a coffin, I think banning them would be a good idea.

Call me crazy, but I think 14 years old is a little young to be dying for your convictions. Why? Because teenagers are naive idiots. This kid can't vote, can't join the military, can't drive, can't smoke, can't drink, can't have sex with an adult. Clearly society has deemed him unfit for many activities that the older generation enjoys. Is dying for God any different?

Danny Haszard said...

Jehovah's Witnesses elders will investigate and disfellowship any Jehovah Witness who takes a blood transfusion,to say the issue is a 'personal conscience matter' is subterfuge to keep the Watchtower out of lawsuits.

Many Jehovah's Witnesses men,women and children die every year worldwide due to blood transfusion ban.Rank & file Jehovah's Witness are indoctrinated to be scared to death of blood.

FYI
1) JW's DO USE many parts aka 'fractions' aka components of blood,so if it's 'sacred' to God why the hypocritical contradiction flip-flop?

2) They USE blood collections that are donated by Red cross and others but don't donate back,more hypocrisy.

3) The Watchtower promotes and praises bloodless elective surgeries,this is a great advancement indeed.BUT it's no good to me if I am bleeding to death from a car crash and lose half my blood volume and need EMERGENCY blood transfusion.

Know this,the reason that JW refuse blood is because of their spin on the 3000 year old Biblical old testament,modern medicine will eventually make blood donations and transfusions a thing of the past.When this technology happens it won't vindicate the Jehovah's Witnesses and all the deaths that have occured so far.
The Watchtower's rules against blood transfusions will eventually be abolished (very gradually to reduce wrongful death lawsuit liability) even now most of the blood 'components' are allowed.
In 20 years there will be artificial blood and the Red Cross will go on with other noble deeds.

None of these changes will absolve the Watchtower leaders or vindicate their twisted doctrines
Are there dangers from blood?There are over 500 aspirin deaths in USA yearly.
---
Danny Haszard born 1957 3rd generation Jehovah's Witness

MSTIRLNG said...

I can remember a time when I was told to be afraid of anyone who wasn't a JW. I can remember not being alowed to socialize with other people at school who werent JW. I can remember the huge amounts of stress during holidays. I can remember not being allowed to do sports or band or anything anything like that. I remember having to call my mother when I was in first grade to make sure it was ok for me to color a totem pole (false idol and all). Then, I remember when I was 10 years old.. and my parents GOT ME THE FUCK OUT OF THAT CRAZY SHIT!!!!

single handedly, the best thing my parents have ever done for me.
Thanks guys...
gg JW's

Valerie said...

I totally agree with you here. I have a friend who is from a denomination, sect, whatever you want to call it, and they also have this ban. In addition to no blood transfusions, they also are supposed to refuse all medical care. So, no doctors, no medications, nothing. She was horribly ill (probably pneumonia or something) when she was younger, delirious from a fever and coughing so hard she couldn't breathe, and still, she was forced to wait it out. It took her over a month to recover. Since hearing that, I've been flabbergasted with how ridiculous these rules, in then name of religion, are.

Your story also brought to mind something else that I found ridiculous. My 14 year old nephew was required to give his consent to having his parents see any of his medical records or before his parents could make any decisions regarding his care. At the time, he was having MAJOR surgery done, and was unconscious a good part of his hospital stay. My 14 year old nephew had no idea what he was supposed to do or how to translate medical documents. He didn't understand the implications that his decisions might have, either. To think that 14 year olds can make intelligent, well though out decisions regarding life and death matters is stupid.

*sigh* I really liked reading this blog post, but it re-fired my impatience at some aspects of so-called "religion". Sheesh people...

tom sheepandgoats said...

But the distinction here is that while these activities might be dangerous, they don't guarantee death like refusing a life-prolonging blood transfusion.....And yes, if high school sports were a one-way ticket to a coffin, I think banning them would be a good idea.

Not an unreasonable answer, Tobias. But you have made an assumption I don't think is warranted.

Is the noun "blood transfusion" ever used without the adjective "life-saving" (in your case "life-prolonging" in front of it? The most current research suggests that the label is very flawed.

For example, Surgeon Bruce Spiess, (google the name) addresses the Australian and New Zealand College of Anesthetists a few months ago, and declares blood transfusions have hurt more people than they've helped. Transfusions, he observes, are "almost a religion" because physicians practice them without solid evidence that they help.

We all know that blood is a foreign tissue and we all know that the body tries to reject foreign tissue, even when the types match.

Another study concludes that the chemical which permits transfused blood to transfer oxygen begins to break down within hours of storage, yet in the U.S blood is stored up to 42 days.

Jehovah's Witnesses steadfastly refuse blood transfusions (for religious reasons, not medical) and have created hundreds of Hospital Liaison Committees composed of members who interact with local hospitals and doctors. As a result, some in the medical field have pioneered bloodless techniques. By eliminating the risk of foreign tissue, human error, and blood-borne diseases, these new techniques offer a safety margin that conventional blood transfusions do not. The film Knocking states there are over 140 medical centers in North America that offer some form of bloodless surgical techniques. Might the day come, or is it even here already, when the number of lives saved through such medicine will outnumber those lost by a few members of a relatively tiny religious group that stuck to its principles amidst much opposition?

This video is well done and has been recognized favorably at some film festivals. Leaders in the medical field are interviewed. Food for thought:

http://www.watchtower.org/e/vcae/article_01.htm

And my own on that study I mentioned:

http://carriertom.typepad.com/sheep_and_goats/2007/10/blood-transfusi.html

Look, all this is just food for thought on the "life-saving" label that invariably accompanies blood transfusion. I don't claim it is the deciding factor is the case of this particular youngster.

tom sheepandgoats said...

For better or for worse, our conversation has inspired my most recent post. It is what Dennis would have wanted.

J said...

tom sheepandgoats: You make some good points. My intention was never to criticize the boy for making his choice. I think it's an honorable thing to control your own destiny. Dying for your convictions is reasonable proof that you've actually lived.

I'm still torn on the issue though. I guess I would feel better about the whole thing if I knew to a certainty that the boy wasn't influenced by anything other than his personal and spiritual commitments. It's not really my place to say whether he answered to a higher power. I would just hope that the higher power wasn't his legal guardian, that's all.

mstirlng and val: Thanks for sharing your experiences! I must admit that when I was writing this post I had very limited knowledge of Jehovah's Witnesses. It's nice to get some perspective. The quest for knowledge grinds on, as it were ;)

Anonymous said...

Its a long story but I want to tell it.

I SURVIVED an OB/GYN's butchery (Sep 1976), 31 years ago WITHOUT a blood tranfusion.

My daughter,(the baby born by C-Section because she was breech), tells me I should have sued his pants off, since she has seen the scars he left that affect certain nerves even today.

Being that he was a sub OB/GYN, and no one was with me but my next door neighbor that kindly transported me to the hospital, he could berate me for refusing blood without any intervention.

There was no Hospital Liaison Committee in those days.

No mention by the hospital that I had signed a release many months before absolving the hospital of any blame from refusing blood.

My husband was not allowed to leave his job to help me. He was in another town 50 miles away, but the Dr. did called him on the phone, to get permission to give me blood.
That was a real help to our stress factor.
My husband refused and said to give me Dextran as I had requested.

Today I have on my Directive card that I will take any blood substitute and prefer Oxycyte.

Thanks for reading