Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Catharsis

Come one, come all. See the acrobats and monkeys. Witness the death of journalism. This, friends, is the media circus.

Oh, the man behind the curtain? Don't mind him. He's only here to help. Keep drinking that bitter concoction. It's for your own good, son. Soon, you'll see, everything will be numb.

I have savage news, friends. Savage indeed. I'm afraid I've lost my way. My flashlight has flickered out. I've been plunged into the darkness of uncertainty. The guiding light, my principles, has been sapped. I carry with me only enough precious bread to make it through the night. Tomorrow, the unknown will peak above the horizon. Tomorrow, I face the day with heavy doubt.

It's been a bad day. I take that back. It's been one of those days where you're so jilted by an impenetrable force that you spend most of it questioning yourself. The scope of it is confusing: Am I really seeing clearly? Or am I simple jaded by cynicism and hopelessness? Is this really happening?

If this is cryptic, I apologize. Wise people have told me it's not smart to poop where you eat. But writing is catharsis. This is catharsis. Suffice it to say that, for me, this is my eulogy for idealism. I'm not even sure what the word means anymore. Maybe it's a product; maybe it's that grand idea that can't die. I hope it's the latter. I hope, for the future of journalism.

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Remember how high school seems meaningless in retrospect? If that analogy doesn't work, remember how grade school seems meaningless now in retrospect? All our worries from then so small and far away. In a few years, whatever this is, you'll probably feel that way about it. Pain makes a good story :) And keep steering toward doing what you really want to do. And don't worry about journalism and newspapers. Imagine a future where there are no institutional news sources, just hundreds of journalists doing it on their own, and aggregation mechanisms that can group them any way you like.

J said...

Yeah, I know you're right. I just die a little inside when I'm forced to do things I find blatantly corrupt. Forced isn't the right word...more like coerced. I'll stew for a bit, write about it and move on. I've got better things on the horizon, so I just have to focus on that.